Guests Joyce & Don dined at Rosalie’s Cucina last night and brought back a loaf of their yummy bread for us. I decided to use it to make breakfast for them this morning. Had enough left over for mom & I to try and I must say that is was quite delicious. I think it would be even more fab to serve this with just a drizzle of chocolate sauce over top, but that is for another day!
Strawberry Orange Cream Stuffed French Toast with Strawberry Coulis-
For French Toast:
- 1 loaf crusty slightly stale old French (I used Italian from Rosalie’s) bread sliced on the bias about an inch thick.
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk or half & half
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1- 8 oz package cream cheese
- 3 Tablespoons fresh orange zest
- 1/2 Cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 6-8 large FRESH ripe strawberries, washed, hulled and coursely chopped
For Strawberry Coulis:
- 2 Cups frozen strawberries, slightly thawed and coursely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons orange zest
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- pat of butter
Filling: Place cream cheese, chopped berries, powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 3 Tablespoons orange zest & salt in a bowl and mash with a fork until well combined and spreadable. You could use a food processor or hand blender but I like my berries a little chunky in the filling so I use a fork. You can adjust the sugar according to the sweetness of your berries. Set aside.
Coulis: In a medium sauce pan combine the frozen berries, lemon juice, orange zest, water, sugar & butter and bring to a rolling boil over medium heat, reduce heat and continue to cook, stirring occasionally to until sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and use hand blender to puree the sauce. Keep sauce warm over low heat while making French toast.
French toast: Beat the eggs, milk OR cream, vanilla & sugar thoroughly in a large baking dish. Soak the sliced bread in the custard, turning onto other side after a few minutes.
Heat a griddle or large skillet with a pat of butter and cook the soaked bread slices on on medium heat until golden, turn and cook other side. Once both sides of bread are golden brown, reduce heat and smear a couple spoonfuls of filling onto half the slices. Top with remaining cooked slices and and continue to grill for another minute or so to allow filling to warm.
To serve spoon a puddle of the strawberry coulis onto the middle of a plate, arrange two pieces of French stuffed toast side by side on top of the sauce, sprinkle with powdered sugar and garnish with strawberry & twisted orange slice.
10 Fitch, your romantic escape in NY states beautiful Finger Lakes region.
Latest posts by Cheryl Barber (see all)
- February Only Specials At 10 Fitch - February 9, 2018
- Dining at 10 Fitch – Dinner Picnic - August 15, 2017
- What To Expect at a Bed and Breakfast – 10 Fitch Luxurious Romantic Inn - July 1, 2017