What To Expect at a Bed and Breakfast
I’ve never stayed at a bed and breakfast and don’t know what to expect.
If you have never stayed at a bed and breakfast you are probably wondering what it’s like. You may even be a little nervous about staying in someones home that you don’t know. I understand completely! Not only was I once a first timer myself but many of our guests arrive as b&b virgins too. Of course each bed and breakfast is unique but here’s what you can expect when you stay at our bed and breakfast, 10 Fitch Luxurious Romantic Inn.
- What happens after we make a reservation? After booking your stay we will send you a welcome email and then a series of emails prior to your arrival that will assist you on planning your activities and finding the best places to dine and attractions to visit during your stay.
- Do you offer any packages or options? We offer a wide variety of enhancements and packages and give you the opportunity to add anything you like to your stay. We will send you an email about that as well.
- What if we need help with something or have additional questions? If you have any questions or need assistance with anything before you check in please email or call us and let us know. We are eager and happy to assist you!
- When we check in where do we park? When you arrive feel free to pull up right in front of the main entrance with the red door and white pillars to unload your belongings. After checking in you can move your car to your designated parking spot. Don’t worry, we will send you an email that tells you where this is and can also point it out to you during check in.
- Now that we’re inside what happens next? You will be warmly greeted, given a quick tour of the property, checked in and then shown to your room. During this time the innkeeper will explain about breakfast, how the door locks work, point out to you which areas are public spaces that you may enjoy, where you can access complimentary amenities, and let you know how she can be reached if you need anything.
- Speaking of breakfast, how does that work? Breakfast at 10 Fitch is one of the most looked forward to, enjoyed and talked about experiences for our guests. Just check out our Trip Advisor reviews to see what I mean! Please keep in mind that we are not a hotel or restaurant and our kitchen is not a commercial kitchen. It is our own personal space where we also prepare our guests breakfast. We do not keep a lot of extra things on hand because we do not have the space for them so we typically shop for what we will need once a week. We serve breakfast each morning from 9 a.m. until 10 a.m in the dining room. With advance notice breakfast service in the comfort and privacy of your room is available for an additional charge. At 10 Fitch it is an alternating sweet one morning, then savory ,“chefs choice” breakfast, consisting of a plated, freshly prepared first course followed by a main dish. Coffee, tea and juice are all made available during the breakfast hour. Fresh brewed Columbian coffee is available in the dining room beginning at 8a.m. The Keurig in the dining room is available 24/7. At 9 a.m. we move the coffee to the dining room table, put out cream and juice and wait for guests to seat themselves at which time we begin serving.
- What if we have dietary restrictions? No worries, with advance notice (at least 48 hrs) we have you covered! Please do let us know prior to your arrival so that we can plan what to prepare and shop while taking into consideration the needs of every guest who will be staying while you are with us
- What if we want an earlier or later breakfast? Want to get out and enjoy the area sooner? No problem! With advance notice, (again, at least 48 hrs) we are happy to provide you with a packed to-go breakfast – home made muffins, granola bars, fruit, OJ & coffee. Unfortunately we are unable to serve breakfast any later than 10AM because of our tight schedule for the rest of the day. If you plan to sleep in and skip breakfast it is polite to let the innkeeper know as far ahead as possible and at least 24 hrs in advance.
- What is there to do? I’m so glad you asked!
- Here at 10 Fitch in Auburn, NY you can –
- April – October – stroll the gardens, sit on a bench, enjoy the Koi ponds and screened in gazebo
- Read on the veranda, in the library, in the living room or in your suite
- Work the jigsaw puzzle in the sunroom
- Play chess, checkers, or backgammon at the game table
- Have a romantic picnic dinner, fondue or chocolate covered strawberries in your suite
- Soak in a jetted or claw foot tub
- Play a board game
- Enjoy an in-suite couples massage
- October – April – cozy up in front of the fireplace and sip a glass of wine or mug of hot cocoa or cider while nibbling on our homemade chocolate chip cookies.
- Walk to the downtown area just a mile away and enjoy restaurants, shopping and live entertainment
- Into history? Walk to Seward House for a tour, visit the Case Research Lab, the Harriet Tubman Home or Willard Chapel
- Explore the surrounding Finger Lakes area including Skaneateles, Watkins Glen, the many beautiful waterfalls & gorges, the Wine Trails, Beer Trail, Sweet Treats Trail, antique shops, many other museums and historical sites and much more.
- Maybe there is a festival, live show or some other event taking place during the time that you are here so why not check out our events calendar to find out.
- If you booked a stay at 10 Fitch Luxurious Romantic Inn then you likely can think of many other fun things to do without even having to leave you suite! Get reacquainted, reconnect and simply enjoy each other.
- Here at 10 Fitch in Auburn, NY you can –
- Will we be sharing our bathroom with other guests? Absolutely not! The bathroom in your suite is yours alone and no one else will be using it during your stay. There is also a common bathroom on the main floor of the inn which you may use if your bathroom is occupied by your room mate and while you are on the main floor.
- Will I have enough privacy? Where will the innkeeper be? Even tho this is our home we respect your privacy and want you to feel at home too. We have quarters on the 3rd floor of the inn and will be available to you should you need us but will give you as mush space as you like. We are generally on the main floor of the inn during the day but try to stay out of site as much as possible although we do enjoy chatting with our guests if we are invited to do so.
- Are children allowed? 10 Fitch is a romantic escape for adults only. Guests age 16 and older are welcome. The only time you will see children younger than that here is when our 8 yr old granddaughter visits.
If you care to know how to be the best guest ever you can read my post Bed and Breakfast Etiquette Guide for B&B Virgins.