10 Fitch Parmesan Herb Baked Eggs
The basic recipe is a simple combination of cheese, herbs, cream, butter and eggs which you can add veggies such as peppers, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms and meat to this delicious comfort food recipe which is equally as good for dinner as it is for breakfast, especially when it’s chilly outside.
- 3 large eggs – room temperature
- 1 tbsp butter – melted
- 2 tbsp heavy cream – room temperature
- 1/4 cup Freshly grated parmesan cheese – use good quality cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh, finely chopped herbs – I like thyme, oregano, rosemary, Italian parsley, green onion, garlic
- 2 tbsp finely chopped peppers, mushrooms, onion, sun dried tomato
- 2 tbsp diced ham OR crisp crumbled bacon OR browned crumbled sausage
Heat oven to 400 degrees
Combine the garlic, herbs and Parmesan and set aside.
Put au gratin dishes on a baking sheet and (if you wish to add meat to the dish, do it now. We like chopped ham or cooked crumbled bacon. Cooked sausage is also good) add 1 Tbs melted butter then 2 Tbs heavy cream. Gently crack 3 room temperature eggs into the butter & cream. Salt & pepper to taste. Sprinkle Parmesan herb mixture evenly over top. If adding veggies such as finely chopped peppers, mushrooms etc. sprinkle these evenly on top of cheese.
Bake, rotating pan halfway through baking, until whites are just set but yolks are still runny, about 15 to 18 minutes. Serve with toasted garlic bread.
Ingredients below are for one serving – simply multiply for the number of servings you need.
Innkeepers tip: I prepare a large quantity of Parmesan and chopped herbs and mix them up in a gallon ziptop bag and keep it in the freezer, pulling it out and using as needed.